Meatball Marinara Recipe
Easy recipe for delicious and succulent meatballs....yum
Hope you’re well and eating good! Today I have for you my recipe on the infamous Meatball Marinara. Check out my youtube video for the voice over!
I get the juiciest meatballs through a couple methods like adding parmesan cheese to the meatballs as well as grated onions which results in the most tender and juiciest meatball. You can go wild with your favourite herbs and seasonings but I kept it simple with some parsley then some oregano and basil in my tomato sauce. This should be made to your tastes guys! You can use a stock cube instead of salt and pepper for an even better flavour for the sauce!
For the browning of the meatballs I like to do it in a oven to save me from the dreaded broken meatball, it takes no time at all and all you need to do is preheat your oven to about 220c or Gas mark 5 and brown these babies while you start the sauce, everything works out beautifully!
I like to use pasatta (sieved tomatoes) for my sauce however feel free to use tin tomatoes or whole tomatoes and crush them up yourself!
I enjoyed mine with prozis protein pasta which is a healthy alternative to the carb heavy usual pastas however it’s up to you. You can make this into a sub if you like too or enjoy with some delicious garlic bread (recipe on my blog)
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the meatballs:
- 500g ground mince (I used a mix of beef and pork, up to you!)
- 3⁄4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 onion grated
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup water or milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (more to taste)
- drizzle of olive oil for baking
For the sauce
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 jar of passata/2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 bunches of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
PREHEAT OVEN TO 220C OR GAS MARK 5⁄6
- In a bowl add in all the meatball ingredients and mix until combine, do not overmix!
- Mold the meatballs into balls and place on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and place in the centre of the preheated oven while we make the sauce.
- Place a saucepan on medium heat and add the olive oil, sweat the onions down for 2-3 minutes until they soften.
- Add in the garlic and sautee until fragrant
- Now add in the tomato puree and stir fry on medium heat until the puree darkens in colour. Add in the sugar and stir fry for 2 minutes
- Check on your meatballs, at this point they should need turning around.
- Next add in the passata and water (swish the water around in the can or jar to get the good bits into the sauce).
- Bring the sauce to a boil on high heat and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- The meatballs should be nice and brown by now, add them into the sauce and simmer on low heat for 25-40 minutes. The longer the better!
- Once the sauce has cooked down, ensure the meatballs are cooked and taste for seasoning! Now it’s done :)
Serve with your choice of pasta, bread or in a sub! Enjoy xx
…Thank you for visiting my blog, I’d love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment, send me an email, or find me on Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter & and please SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube @FoodwithDom
…And if you make this recipe… Let me know how it turns out or take a picture, Share it on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #foodwithdom xx