Mac and cheese like you've never seen before
Hola lovelies! Hope you’re well and eating good,
Today I’ve finally delivered this highly requested recipe! My Mac and Cheese recipe! This one is super easy and delicious (just like all my recipes) and I believe you’ll be able to make this in no time for your loved ones.
It only takes a few simple steps and the hardest part is making the roux which… honestly isn’t that hard at all. A roux /ru:/ is a mix of fat, usually butter and some flour used to thicken sauces. It’s known for scaring people away because of lumps or mixtures being stodgy but as long as you follow my recipe and instructions, you’ll have no trouble. Just watch my youtube video!
For spices I’ve used paprika, chilli powder, nutmeg and garlic powder. You can go wild and add some mustard powder or worchestershire sauce, it’s really up to you! Sometimes I like to add a pinch of turmeric for a brighter colour, try this out if you like!
Here’s what you’ll need (Serves 4-6 people):
*Adjust amount of seasonings to your taste!x
- 500g Macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter (150g)
- 2.5 tablespoons plain flour
- 2.5⁄3 cups of whole milk
- 3 cups mixed cheese ( I used cheddar, mozzarella, edam, gruyere)
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 200c/Gas Mark 4
- Cook the macaroni in salted boiling water, drain and set aside. (Or follow package instructions)
- Set a pan on medium heat and melt the butter.
- Next whisk in the flour and continue to stir until the flour and butter form a paste. Cook on low heat for 30 seconds to a minute.
- After a minute add in the spices and toast in the roux until fragrant.
- Next add the cold milk and stir until all the lumps dissolve, bring the heat up to medium high and continue to stir until thickened.
- Taste for seasoning, adjust then add 2⁄3 of the cheese.
- Mix in the cheese until it’s melted an stringy then turn off the heat.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the drained cooked macaroni and combine with half of the left over cheese.
- Mix well and transfer to a baking dish, bake for 10-15 mins or until golden brown.
Now it’s done, Serve with a meal as a side or simply enjoy on its own!
…Thank you for visiting my blog, I’d love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment, send me an email, or find me on Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter & and please SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube @FoodwithDom.
…And if you make this recipe… Let me know how it turns out or take a picture, Share it on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #foodwithdom xx