Vibrant African flavours, simple delicious recipe!
Hola loves! Hope you’re well!
This recipe is a new favourite of mine, consisting of a marinade that can be used for all types of proteins, I’ve opted for some wholesome tilapia. As my youtube video shows, the recipe is extremely easy and you only need a few ingredients!
I baked my fish in the oven but this would be absolutely amazing on the grill during summer, use the same marinade for some chicken, beef or even in a stir fry with noodles! I used tilapia but you can use any fish from salmon, trout to seabass or even snapper!
The star ingredient in this dish has got to be the fish sauce. Made from salted fermented fish, originating from Vietnam, it’s pungent yet full of delicious umami. I highly recommend buying some of this as it is a pantry essential for me. Once you get past the smell, you’ll soon find it can be used as a salt/umami substitute in many dishes. Don’t worry, you can opt out of using this if you must but I HIGHLY recommend. You can use soy sauce instead
Please watch my youtube video here for the step by step process:
Without further or due, here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 Whole tilapia cleaned and scaled
- 4 spring onions
- 1 scotch bonnet (adjust to taste)
- 1 inch of ginger peeled
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 3 sweet peppers/ 2 bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce/ soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil ( 1⁄2 for marinade, remaining to rub on fish)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 200c/Gas Mark 5
- Blend all the aromatic ingredients with the fish sauce, oil and sugar in a food processor or blender. If marinade is too dry, add a couple drops of water.
- Transfer the marinade into a bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper then set aside.
- Cut diagonal slits into the fish (watch video for reference)
- Season lightly with salt, remember to season the insides too.
- Generously spoon the marinade over the fish and rub into the slits and inside the cavity of the fish. Use gloves if you’re scared to use your bare hands!
- Place the fish on a lines wire rack on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 200c until cooked and flaky. Your house is going to smell amazing about 5 minutes in!
*You can marinate the fish for up to two hours but I like to bake it straight away.
Serve with your favourite sides and enjoy!
…Thank you for visiting my blog, I’d love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment, send me an email, or find me on Instagram and please SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube @FoodwithDom
…And if you make this recipe… Let me know how it turns out or take a picture, Share it on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #foodwithdom xx